Wrangler JL Spy Shots Reveal Removable Roof Panels - Wrangler JL Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Wrangler JL Spy Shots Reveal Removable Roof Panels

Could this picture published on AutoGuide be the rumored ‘true three-piece hardtop’ that was first mentioned back in May last year?

Spy photographers were hard at work again and they’ve recently taken a few close shots of the Wrangler prototype with what looks to be removable roof panels. We’re expecting to see a trio of new tops available for the Wrangler JL including a power soft top, hardtop glass panel similar to a panoramic sunroof and a true 3-piece steel roof hardtop. The latest photos could confirm the existence of a 3-piece roof option.

Looking closely at the prototype’s roof, you can clearly see three distinct panels with two panes covering the driver and passengers seats along with a larger one overlaying the rear passenger seats and trunk. The top also appears to be framed a few inches from the edge of the roof, which could be an indication that the roof won’t be entirely removable like the Wrangler JK. At least it’ll owners that open-air feeling whilst retaining some roll-over protection.

We still don’t know if the Wrangler JL will get a fully removable hardtop on top of the three new roof options or if it’ll simply do away with it. Perhaps Jeep will let us know before the Wrangler JL’s expected debut at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show in November.
post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Maybe the full top is still removable since it's not sitting flush against the frame. That's be great, to have the option of removing just the panels or the whole top for a more open feel. But that's not going to be a cheap option.
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:13 AM

I think it will be fully removable. Just looking at the overhang shows it's a latching type of situation. I really hope it will be at least.

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:19 PM

All we have to do is look at the Renegades panel roof and behold... our answers

post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:36 PM

I think the Renegade's roof sits flush against the body frame with no overhang. Assuming that's a good indicator of what's to come, then the Wrangler JL's roof is actually very versatile; fully removable or in panels.
I think that small black tab in the upper right corner of the windshield is a latch, or it could be the camouflage and shadows playing with my perception.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:39 PM

It is a good way to look at it but I doubt it'll be the same. Looking at the Wrangler, it'll probably be different.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:34 AM

It will be different. Just look at the roof edges and that alone should tell you. The Renegade has too much "framing" going on for me though... I think it's kind of odd.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:46 PM

The overall concept looks similar to me except here we have more of a gap from the outside moving in, which for an upsegment vehicle like this is expected for rigidity, mounting, and so on.
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:13 AM

A similar overhang can be found on hardtop JK Wranglers too and the full panel was removable on those. So the same should apply to the new Wrangler JL too.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:22 AM

The new JL is working out to be a model that sticks close to the Jeep roots; a removable top, potential fold-down windscreen and hopefully we'll get the removable doors too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page