Manual Transmission Confirmation - Wrangler JL Forum
View Poll Results: Do you want a manual transmission?
Yes 3 75.00%
No 1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Manual Transmission Confirmation

Among the many photos posted from the recent test mule, a manual transmission shifter can be seen. This isn't the first time. Months back a JL test mule was spied with a 6-speed manual shifter.

Expect this to be paired with the same 3.6 currently offered.

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Manual is way more fun, but for those who do a lot of city driving the auto would be better. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, really down to personal preference.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Manual is way more fun, but for those who do a lot of city driving the auto would be better. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, really down to personal preference.
That depends on who you ask because driving a manual in traffic doesn't have to be that bad. The trick is to hang back in the slow lane, keeping it in one gear and just cruising. Can't be like everyone else that races from one cars bumper to another.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM

If there's anything I could say about driving Wranglers from 2013ish that had the 6 speed, the clutch on them is super light so driving in traffic really isn't bad at all. It's also extremely forgiving and easy to drive smoothly. The only problem I found was that the gearbox is very sloppy.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:25 AM

It is harder to rock-crawl with a manual gearbox, but how often do people really do that and slipping the clutch a little to climb down a hill is fine.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
If there's anything I could say about driving Wranglers from 2013ish that had the 6 speed, the clutch on them is super light so driving in traffic really isn't bad at all. It's also extremely forgiving and easy to drive smoothly. The only problem I found was that the gearbox is very sloppy.
For someone that always wanted a manual regardless of the vehicle they have, this will be a treat even if its not perfect. Personally I wouldn't get it, seen all the issues the JK was plagued with, plus this will be my daily driver. Rather have a relaxed daily.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 AM

I'd just go for the automatic, it's the more sensible option as a daily driver and rowing through the gears in heavy traffic isn't my idea of fun.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:33 AM

Most definitely. At first I did want to go with the manual but with a change of lifestyle now, the automatic will be the route I'll be going considering the amount of inner city driving I'll have to be doing
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRider View Post
I'd just go for the automatic, it's the more sensible option as a daily driver and rowing through the gears in heavy traffic isn't my idea of fun.
Not only that but automatic provides better gas mileage and we've reached a time where automatics get far better mileage than manuals. Basically you have to really like manual to get it, not for everyone.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM

Based on what research do you find automatic transmissions getting far better mileage than manuals ?! I find that to be pretty nonsense.

Maybe, depending on the vehicle, there would be ~3mpg differences (that's pushing it) but driving a manual transmission vehicle conservatively and properly, and you can get the same, if not better mileage than an automatic will get you.

Here are some sources for you to check out:

http://www.autotraining.edu/blog/man...leage-and-why/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...sion/index.htm

Last edited by Johnson; 05-19-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page