Towing Capacity - Wrangler JL Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 238
Towing Capacity

Hey guys,

I just found an outline of the upcoming models towing capacity and max payload. It also indicates which models will be available in 2 door and 4 door. Sad to say it doesn't look like the diesel version will come in 2 door.


Model | Weight | Towing Capacity | Max Payload

2-door JL Wrangler Sport (2.0L): 3797 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1075 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Sahara (2.0L): 3880 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1045 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Rubicon (2.0L): 4085 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1040 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Sport (3.6L): 3797 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1075 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Sahara (3.6L): 3880 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1045 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Rubicon (3.6L): 4085 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1040 lbs

4-door JLU Wrangler Sport (2.0L): 4015 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1310 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sahara (2.0L): 4135 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1265 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (2.0L): 4300 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1235 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sport (3.6L): 4015 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1310 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sahara (3.6L): 4135 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1265 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (3.6L): 4390 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1235 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sport (3.0L diesel): 4395 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1280 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sahara (3.0L diesel): 4590 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1160 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (3.0L diesel): 4620 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1180 lbs

JT Scrambler Pickup Base (3.6L): 4576 lbs | 6500 lbs | 1400 lbs
JT Scrambler Pickups Premium (3.6L): 4576 lbs | 6500 lbs | 1400 lbs
JT Scrambler Pickup Base (3.0L Diesel): 5100 lbs | 6500 lbs | 1400 lbs
JT Scrambler Pickup Premium (3.0L Diesel): 5200 lbs | 6500 lbs | 1100 lbs
Mudrunner is offline  
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 512
Isn't payload how much weight a car can carry in both passenger and cargo? Assuming each person weights around 150 pounds and you have a full car, what's left doesn't seem enough.
Gina is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Isn't payload how much weight a car can carry in both passenger and cargo? Assuming each person weights around 150 pounds and you have a full car, what's left doesn't seem enough.
Yeah that's exactly what the payload limit represents. And I mean an average of 1200 pounds isn't really that limited. There isn't much storage space in a wrangler to begin with. Typically those who use their vehicle to haul, opt for pickups which typically offer 2,000+
Mudrunner is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 604
Not bad numbers but when it comes to what I need the JL for, this exceeds my need by a bit. I have heavy duty towing needs but for that I often just borrow my friends truck or rent one from U-Haul.
gladiator is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator View Post
Not bad numbers but when it comes to what I need the JL for, this exceeds my need by a bit. I have heavy duty towing needs but for that I often just borrow my friends truck or rent one from U-Haul.
Yeah I believe these numbers exceed what daily drivers would need. I think those looking for something with greater towing/storage will opt for the new scrambler that's coming. Does anyone know if towing capacity can be increased with aftermarket mods? I know typically a payload limit is predefined and cannot be exceeded.
Mudrunner is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:01 AM
Junior Member
 
kkuntz01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudrunner View Post
Does anyone know if towing capacity can be increased with aftermarket mods? I know typically a payload limit is predefined and cannot be exceeded.
You can’t legally increase the tow capacity to more than what the manufacturer specification is.
kkuntz01 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudrunner View Post
Yeah I believe these numbers exceed what daily drivers would need. I think those looking for something with greater towing/storage will opt for the new scrambler that's coming. Does anyone know if towing capacity can be increased with aftermarket mods? I know typically a payload limit is predefined and cannot be exceeded.
Different classes of hitches allow you to play with weight limits a bit so if you want the most then for example, Class III might be best.
JeepFan is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wrangler JL Spied Towing A Trailer Wrangler JL News Towing 11 10-24-2017 11:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome