Manual Transmission Confirmation - Page 3 - Wrangler JL Forum
View Poll Results: Do you want a manual transmission?
Yes 7 77.78%
No 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:50 AM

BMW M line cars are losing their manuals, the only "supercars" that I think still offer a full on manual transmission are Aston Martins and Porsche on some of their performance variants. Compared to before, you can obviously see the decline in offerings from various manufacturers and you can tell it's making a pretty quick progression in relation to how things work.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 AM

Then those who want to drive manual Wranglers forever better learn how to wrench the new JL because for all we know, it could be the last generation with a manual transmission.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:37 AM

Why would you need to learn how to wrench if you plan on driving manual Wranglers? We have tons of shops out there that can do work for us lol. Especially, if you're getting a JL with a manual transmission, once you keep it maintained and do everything timely and at the first sign of wear, you'll be good to go for a long time.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:00 AM

Garages should still know how to work on manual Wranglers for years to come even after Jeep stops producing them. Maybe sourcing transmission parts will become a bit harder way down the line, but for the foreseeable future manual drivers should be fine.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 AM

It'll be an extremely long time before sourcing transmission parts start to get remotely hard. The manual transmission isn't unique to just the Wrangler as it's used in the Liberty, Crossfire, and Nitro so you can imagine the stock for parts of these or even used ones that you can refurbish is plentiful.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Garages should still know how to work on manual Wranglers for years to come even after Jeep stops producing them. Maybe sourcing transmission parts will become a bit harder way down the line, but for the foreseeable future manual drivers should be fine.
The only time it will really become an issue is for someone owning a JL out of warranty and needs a big transmission job done. Manuals aren't going anywhere to impact repairing them, it will take decades for that to happen, beyond th average ownership term for these.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 08:50 AM

After many years of driving Jeeps I would never go back to a manual. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a manual I just prefer the automatic for rock crawling. I can say one thing for sure, with the automatic I never killed the engine at an inopportune time. I learned to drive on a manual and it's my favorite tranny, just not for my off roader. Yes the new Rubicons have a very low 1st gear and are less susceptible to killing the engine but the possibility is still there. I know $2000 is a lot for an auto so each one has to decide where their money is best spent, for me it was the auto.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgpin View Post
After many years of driving Jeeps I would never go back to a manual. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a manual I just prefer the automatic for rock crawling. I can say one thing for sure, with the automatic I never killed the engine at an inopportune time. I learned to drive on a manual and it's my favorite tranny, just not for my off roader. Yes the new Rubicons have a very low 1st gear and are less susceptible to killing the engine but the possibility is still there. I know $2000 is a lot for an auto so each one has to decide where their money is best spent, for me it was the auto.
I know a lot of people like yourself and its for that reason that even when it is no longer available from factory there will be a large community of people doing swaps.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
I know a lot of people like yourself and its for that reason that even when it is no longer available from factory there will be a large community of people doing swaps.
I have to say that is going to be unlikely because of the sheer pain in the ass of going from automatic to a manual. Its not like the good ole days of just swapping in the parts. It’s swapping parts, it’s adding in wire harnesses, it’s reprogramming the computer. When the day comes in the distant future when the Wrangler is no longer offered with a manual transmission (potentially the next platform change in 9-10 yrs) owners will be SOL as there will be no available parts to swap out to install a manual transmission.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgpin View Post
The first time I drove a manual transmission in over a decade was when my wife picked up her 2dr Rubicon back in ‘09. I admit, short bus was fun to drive and when we decided it might want to replace the 2dr with a 4dr before our daughter was born I decided to get the manual transmission on the new Rubicon. Partly because of the fun factor, partly to save some money because the new Jeep we were ordering was going to cost us more monthly than the one we were trading in.

Fast forward 6yrs and I’ve now been daily driving a manual transmission for the last 8yrs and while I still enjoy driving a manual transmission, however the novelty of it in a daily driver has worn off which is all the more funny since I drive Jeep maybe 2 or 3 days a week now. I’ve also grown tired of getting into arguments with my wife over whether we should take her Ram or my Jeep. Her complaint is the Jeep doesn’t have remote start and can’t be warmed or cooled on cold or hot days. This was one of the big reasons why I configured the JL I ordered with the automatic transmission. The other was so maybe our son will be less intimidated with wanting to get behind the wheel and logging hours getting him closer to getting his drivers license. Between me having a lifted JK on 37’s with a manual transmission and my wife having a lifted Ram 2500 Crew Cab on 34’s he’s pretty much scared to drive anything we own.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page