Wrangler JL Forum banner

2.0l JL's Caught Fire

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Goliath 
#1 ·
I don't know if you guys heard about this, but apparently around 20 brand new 2.0L Wrangler JL Unlimited models caught fire in a factory parking lot the other month. This problem was apparently attributed to the batteries, which due to overheating ended up exploding. Apparently Jeep will be installing a heat shield to surround the battery on these models, which should prevent them from getting too hot.

#2 ·
I think this largely had to due with the mild hybrid system setup in this model. The battery is placed extremely close to the fuel cell, which obviously would cause the fire to spread quite quickly. I do find it hard to believe that the battery was the case for the fire though, as ambient temperature would never reach the levels required to ignite a lithium battery.

#3 ·
Yeah I think there may be more to this story than FCA is willing to share. They probably don't want to be transparent about it until they have a proper fix in place. It does seem to be an isolated incident however, so perhaps it was just a chain reaction from one faulty vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.