Wrangler JL Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Wrangler with "something that they call a truck bed." - CEO Sergio Marchionne

FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne was reported saying the next wrangler will come with "something that they call a truck bed." What exactly can we expect what they will call a truck bed to be? Feel free to use visuals below:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I like gladiator's example the most but Sergio Marchionne's statement made me think that the truck bed was removable on the next Wrangler.

Probably just oddly worded and I'm thinking too much.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oddly worded is probably what he wanted just to get people talking instead of not making it fun and saying 'like a traditional truck bed' because at that point the discussion stops, we already know what to expect.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've always understood Jeeps relectuance to go with a pickup to be based on protecting the RAM?
Wasn't aware of this. May be an effort to define each brand as separate entities specializing in something, Jeep for off road Wranglers and Ram for trucks only.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is the concept a lot of people are talking about and referring to and as far as I can imagine it's what would be appropriate for slotting them into the segment and doing it right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Will be interesting. Some say Jeep can only make 2 door pickups, while others say that no plant upggrades mean they'll be able to offer crewcab as well...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Will be interesting. Some say Jeep can only make 2 door pickups, while others say that no plant upggrades mean they'll be able to offer crewcab as well...
Well they could very well do one and then see how it does. Assuming it does really well, they would then know that it is worth the investment to make a crew cab version.

Maybe they will change up the bed just a little bit. have side swinging doors, or something like that just to make it the slight bit different.

Maybe seats that can be removed to have a truck bed instead.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see the potential in that happening but if it happens, at best it will be one year after the regular cab drops.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When FCA committed to converting Toledo North to body-on-frame production, it gave Jeep an opportunity to go beyond a simple capacity increase by specifying larger production line carriers capable of handling units longer than the current 116-inch wheelbase Wrangler Unlimited. This is pivotal because larger carriers are prerequisite unless you want a double-cab Wrangler pickup with a nearly useless Ford Explorer Sport Trac-style short bed.
Seems as though there must be changes or a crewcab Wrangler pickup would have a bed that isn't very useful at all.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Surprised that with that information of how it will be sized along with speculation that seems to make sense that we haven't seen any speculative renderings or anything.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Surprised that with that information of how it will be sized along with speculation that seems to make sense that we haven't seen any speculative renderings or anything.
TBH they're not totally needed... I mean there are Jeep pickups out there, AEV makes the Wrangler Brute which is the crew cab wrangler with full bed

·
Registered
96 Posts
that guy was based on a RAM 1500... its been said the JL pickup will be more sized between the old ford ranger and the current Colorado...
That makes sense since Ram doesn't have something competing in that particular size of truck. Jeep can fit nicely there as it is both a working vehicle, and a casual one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts