Wrangler JL Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Fans who are waiting for the next-generation 2018 Jeep Wrangler’s debut will be interested to know that the JL comes equipped with a backup camera, a first for the Wrangler badge.

New spy shots of what appears to be a four door Wrangler has been published by autoblog and while it is still hiding under camouflage, the bulky black tarp has been removed from the side. Even though the body panels are exposed, we still can’t determine how the removable roof fits onto the body.

One feature of the new Wrangler JL that we can see is what appears to be backup camera sitting in the middle of a full-size spare tire. The change was most likely brought on by the federal government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) mandate that requires all new cars to include backup cameras by May 2018. At least Jeep didn’t remove the rear-mounted spare to make space for the camera.

Other than that, we can see what could be LED-strip driving lights in the front on either side of the headlights. This was previously seen on the leaked images from a Jeep dealer meeting last year and now we have verification that this feature will make its way onto the production model.

The new JL Wrangler I is expected to debut this year, perhaps at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show.

·
Registered
299 Posts
How would a backup camera mounted to a spare tire look? Don't recall it being done by another automaker before the Wrangler JL.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Aftermarket companies having it sticking out of the gap between spokes and its a smart way to go about this since in doing that, when it comes time to use the spare there's no changing of the cameras mounting position. But what we see here looks to be dead center, not sure what to make of that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would have thought that it'd be a temporary place to put the camera, but then again the test mule could be what the production model looks like in every aspect including the camera so it could stay smack dab in the middle. No idea what the spare tire would look like in this case to accommodate the camera.

There's also long vertical strip of camouflage in between the front and rear door. Think it's a vent of some kind?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Doubt it, that's an odd place to put a vent especially on a Wrangler. The windshield is more raked than the JK but it's still more upright than I thought it would be to increase aerodynamics and fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Don't really mind where it's mounted so long as the visual is unhindered and at a good angle to see everything behind me. For all we know, the camera can be adjusted and rotates to fit a variety of spare tires.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Anyone notice how the grille curves? How the camo rests along the grille helps to see the grilles outline and shape which is very well in line to what we've heard all this time.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yup. But the curved grill was one of the first changes that we really heard about. Curved grill and a longer hood. Placement of the JEEP logo is unknown however.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It could be added padding to throw us off but that doesn't seem likely. Think it could be one of the new Wrangler tops we've been hearing about? Power soft top, true 3-piece hardtop or a hardtop glass panel.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There's a new close up spy shot of the Wrangler JL's roof and it could be the true three-piece hardtop we've been hearing about.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hmm... not too bad. For me it's either going to be all on or all off though. No partial open/close situation. Is nice to see more footage though

·
Registered
247 Posts
Here's what kind of mount they could be using for the spare tire, just to have an open space in the middle for the camera, but there's still the question of the wheel covering it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ah... something will get figured out. There's so many different possibilities that they could do. Guaranteed it'll be in a position that will provide a clear center view that'll hopefully include a bit of the rear bumper or something for averaging.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The only way for it to work is to have the camera in the "hub" part, except to ensure the camera has enough space to see the wheel might sit further back than what we're use to on the JK's currently. You can sort of see this in the spy shots.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well that's exactly what I said at the beginning. Put it in the center hub and remove the center cap so you can see everything from a proper enough height.

·
Registered
512 Posts
We will have to wait and see how the camera is positioned once the Wrangler JL debuts this year. I'm sure the backup camera will be one of those things addressed by Jeep and journalists can probably get close enough to see how it's mounted.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts