Wrangler JL Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I'm really hoping vinyl is an option for the JL. I didn't realize how great of fabric it s until I got my rebel. Great stuff man

Thoughts????

·
Registered
512 Posts
Vinyl is great for enclosed vehicles but doesn't the material crack from sunlight and extreme temperatures over time? If you get a removable top, those seats will be seeing a lot of sunlight and probably absorb a lot of heat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vinyl is great for enclosed vehicles but doesn't the material crack from sunlight and extreme temperatures over time? If you get a removable top, those seats will be seeing a lot of sunlight and probably absorb a lot of heat.
I think the new ones are way better quality material.

Old vinyl was crap but the vinyl has come a long ways over the years

Reactions: Goes

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm not too sure, I'm really not too fond of vinyl for those exact reasons, I wouldn't really trust it getting that much more quality. Like comfort wise, yes, but not longevity. I guess it'll really depend on how often you have the top off, where you're located, where it's parked, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It doesn't necessarily have to be vinyl. I think what Op meant was a "waterproof/easy-clean" seating surface, which i am fully hoping for too. With no carpet inserts, just exposed metal in the color of the body, rubber mats, and waterproof/weatherproof seats.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm pretty sure they'll have the carpet inserts unfortunately. But they should have the tough waterpoof/weatherproof material seats. It only makes sense. These are intended to be put through a good set of weathering so naturally they should aim to let the interior hold up well.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It doesn't necessarily have to be vinyl. I think what Op meant was a "waterproof/easy-clean" seating surface, which i am fully hoping for too. With no carpet inserts, just exposed metal in the color of the body, rubber mats, and waterproof/weatherproof seats.

That's what i'm looking for as well along with material that will hold up long enough, don't want to be 5 years in and start seeing cracks and rips. These need to be durable.

·
Registered
247 Posts
As much as I would like to have everything in there upholstered with some kind of long lasting fabric, I think the best route is to just get some grippy seat covers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think neoprene seat covers are a great option as they're used to make dive wet suits, they just aren't that breathable so you may get sweaty bums during the summer.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Vehicles these days have air conditioning so you won't have to worry about that unless you are doing certain things you shouldn't to create that situation.
If my vehicle isn't parked out of the sun and remaining cool then I rather just let it run till the interior is cool enough.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ventilated seats would cure us all of sweaty bums, especially with the top down in the summertime. But I would just go for normal fabric seat covers, they're cheaper and easier to clean compared to neoprene. throw them in the wash and slap them on the seats again.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ah.. something with a bit of bite in it to grab your clothes and hold you a little bit. There's a company called FactoryEffex that makes grippy seat covers for motorcycles.. maybe use that type of material and get an upholstery shop to make something for yah ?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ventilated seats would cure us all of sweaty bums, especially with the top down in the summertime. But I would just go for normal fabric seat covers, they're cheaper and easier to clean compared to neoprene. throw them in the wash and slap them on the seats again.
The only concern at that point is if the color will fade with washes. But throwing in the wash might not be required depending if they even get to a point they're that soiled.

Best to look into what sort of coats can be applied to make cleaning easier and just stick to the sort of cleaning you would with regular cloth car seats.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I ultimately don't care much for seat materials as long as it's not cheap fabric or leather. One just doesn't last as long and leather is just too much effort to take care of. Synthetic materials that won't produce too much dust is ideal for me.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I ultimately don't care much for seat materials as long as it's not cheap fabric or leather. One just doesn't last as long and leather is just too much effort to take care of. Synthetic materials that won't produce too much dust is ideal for me.
Fortunately that won't be something to worry about with Jeep, the only frequent downside i've heard of is seats being uncomfortable, but often that comes from people who have a difficult time finding comfortable seats overall, some are able to adjust to whatever is offered.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's only a matter of either breaking in the seat or breaking in your butt. I hope we at least get vinyl on the outer skirts of the seat to keep us planted so we don't slide around while making sharp turns.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's only a matter of either breaking in the seat or breaking in your butt. I hope we at least get vinyl on the outer skirts of the seat to keep us planted so we don't slide around while making sharp turns.
For some people even that is too much, but you can always get a seat cover with the sort of support that can get over that break in curve much like what you would put in a shoe that right off the production line doesn't have a comfortable insole.

Breaking in the seat as-is has always worked for me.

Overall it's not too much of a concern.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts